Saturday, July 19, 2008

Our First Triathalon!






We decided yesterday to compete in our first triathalon today and I am so proud of Riley! He did so well, we went from a start in last place to finishing in 2nd place for his age group. Since he is still a little worried about swimming in deep water, afraid that if he needs to stop he won't be able to touch the ground, we decided last night that I would do the swim portion for our "team" and then we would bike and run together. But after arriving for the race I was able to talk him into trying the swim (since I could swim along side of him). Just when I thought that I had convienced him, he changed his mind and said only if he could us a kick board... so that's what he did. Riley had everyone cheering him on as they noticed him being brave and doing the swim with me. When the swim was over he jumped out of the water and said "I can't believe I did it!".

Next was the bike... however he was still so excited about the swim that he saw no need for speed while putting on his shoes... so you can imagine we were dead last! While biking we were able to catch up to some of the other kids competing in his age group.

So... when we ditched the bikes for the run the race was on! Riley is just as competative as his dad (imagine that!) and he was determined to pass all the other runners, and he almost did! He ran across the FINISH line just 5 feet behind the kid that took first place! A 50 yd. swim, a 1mile bike and a 1/2 mile run only took him 27 min... Not too shabby for a last minute decision to compete!

He can't wait for his next one... Bring it on Dad!

9 comments:

angie said...

Great Job Riley!! That is seriously SO AWESOME!! He is going to be a runner just like his Daddy!! We should FOR SURE hang out while you are here. Can you on Mon or Tues?? We could go swimming or to wheeler farm.

Danielle said...

Jen your kids are darling! If you go Monday I can come...

Char said...

What a bit accomplishment for Riley. This just proves he can do anything he wants if he puts his mind too. We love him and are so proud. Olympic's here he comes!

Suzie said...

GREAT JOB RILEY!!! That is so awesome. It will be really cool to see him and Eric run a marathon together one day.

Nicole Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jenny! I haven't heard from you forever! I ran into your blog from blog surfing! Look at your cute little family! That is pretty cool that Eric is a firefighter. Congrats!

angie said...

JEN!! Hey!! Sorry it has taken me SO LONG to get back to you, we have been way busy. Spence said our team is full but we are thinking of doing two. I will for SURE let you know if we decide to.

Love ya and miss ya!!

brandi said...

Wow, go Riley! You rock!

Kasia said...

What a cool thing! I didn't know they had triathalons for kids, you look great by the way.
Well I can't find your e-mail but I am glad you found me and I can't believe you are still checking brandi's blog, it has been what 2 months since she posted anything!! Yeah you should sign up again, I missed you at brandi's last meeting. ok so sign up in Feb for sale-a-bration and then recruit someone so you won't drop again :) and come to amy's and brandi's downline meeting so we can see each other!!