Sunday, July 13, 2008

SLCFD here we come...





In March while in Disneyland celebrating my Grandma Claysons 80th birthday we got a call from SLCFD offering Eric a job. Talk about being in the happiest place on earth! He started a 12 week crash course boot camp on April 21st. And it was 12 weeks from you know where! They pushed the "recruits" so hard physically that they would throw-up and require a IV to keep them hydrated. They pushed them so hard emotionally that 4 of the original 8 "recruits" quit within the first 6 weeks. I was amazed to watch Eric push himself more and more each day to exceed and perform each task perfectly all while he was still trying to jugle being a dad, husband and to fullfill his calling as Executive Secretary in the Bishopric. Eric moved in to his mothers house for the 12 weeks and came home only on the weekends to help save on time and gas. It was so hard on him as a dad, he missed most of Rileys baseball games, & all of the end of school year performances. Kate and Hailey missed him so much, they didn't quite understand what was going on so much, they only knew that Dad was never home. So you can imagine our excitment when he Graduated from SLCFD Recruit Acadamy last week. (The photo is of Eric getting sworn in as a firefighter for SLC. BC Roberson is the guy swearing in Eric, he lived in the neighborhood Eric grew up in, so that was pretty cool.) His training Captains spoke very highly of him, and said that he is going to make a great addition to the SLCFD and they see in him holding a future rank of SLCFD Captain and higher. I do have to say that it was pretty crazy to have another firefighter tell me at the graduation that "he will make sure that Eric always returns home". I think my jaw hit the ground when he said that! I have never thought about Eric even getting hurt... he is so competative. And come on, firefighting is what Eric was made for! I am so proud of Eric he is the best dad and husband, I Love you!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

oh good. I'm glad to to see ya! Blogs are a good way to hang out. ha ha. I will be checking in...Dani

angie said...

JEN!!! OH MY GOSH!! I am SO GLAD to see you joined the blogging world, I have been thinking about you lots!! That is AWESOME Eric just became a firefighter--tell him congrats. He will probably get to know Spencer's brother Tyler, he works for Salt Lake too. I think he is an engineer. Your kids are SO STINKIN CUTE!! I can't believe how big they are. I hope you guys move back to Salt Lake, that would be so much fun.

Spence did start his race in Logan but I only went to the end in Park City. We are going to run it next year and Eric can be on our team if he still wants to do it. We are actually signing up in a few weeks because it is filling up so fast. They already have close to 400 teams and are only taking 600.

When are you coming to Salt Lake next?? I am way glad we can keep up on eachother's lives!! Love ya

Ang

Suzie said...

I am so excited for you Eric! Jen,I know how it feels to not have a husband/dad around and it sucks but at least it is all over. We are so happy for you guys!

Char said...

I know this can be hard. Believe me coming from a sister. I didn't even get a ride on the truck. lol. We are so proud of him this job was made for him. Just an FYI. A lady at work has a brother that works for SLCFD and she got go on a call and that ment riding on the truck