
We have all seen the extra PINK in the stores this month... cereal boxes, detergent, paper towels, measuring cups, even Kitchen Aid mixers! It's everywhere! I thought that I had always understood why as women we need to support the cause and find a cure. Tonight I realized just how important it is... My mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer! She goes in for a Lumpectomy on Tuesday to have the tumor and tissue removed and then will begin 6 weeks of radiation. I am shocked...
The doctors were shocked that she found the lump by doing a self exam, I guess most women rely on a mammogram to detect breast cancer (my mom had one just last February). She also told me that with her diagnosis it also doubles my chance of developing breast cancer. And if you also have a family history of ovarian cancer (which I do) your chances are even greater. However, my point in saying all this is that when your family has these histories you can go into your doctor and be checked to see if you are a carrier of two different genes BRCG1 and BRCG2 (BReast Cancer Gene 1&2) if you are a carrier on one of these genes then your chances of developing breast cancer is 40 -85% according to then Susan G Koman website. That way you know and can start checking at an earlier age and more frequently to aid an early detection for a better survival rate! So get checked, have your mom and sisters get checked... squish a boob and save a life!
11 comments:
Wow, Jen. I am so sorry to hear that about your mom. Let her know I am thinking of her.
My heart just sunk when I heard the news about your mom! I am so sorry. She will most definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the good information!
Wow...good luck to your mom. Sorry to hear about that. Good luck for your future too. I found a lump too several years ago, just by doing my exams, but it was a fibroadenoma, nothing significant thank goodness. It's scary though.
PS you will soon see my simplify magnets. FYI.
ugghhh- I am so sorry Jen
I was so sad to hear about your mom. I do think that it is scary how many people are getting breast cancer but it is amazing how many are fighting it and winning it. I hope the best.
Just blog surfing and look who I found!! Now we can be blog buddies. cute pics.
Hey girl,
sorry to hear about your mom. My Mom had breast cancer and is still healthy and with us! I am with you on getting a boob squish. It is so importantd! I hope everything goes well for your mom. Let me know if you need to talk!
Hey girl!! Where are pics of your kiddos on Halloween?? I want to see their costumes.
Hey!! I need your address so I can send you a christmas card!! My email is angieblox@comcast.net
seriously.......it's time for a new entry!
Hey girl!! How are ya?? I am really missing your updates. I was thinking about ya the other day and wondering if you guys were going to move to Salt Lake (or surrounding areas). That would be so much fun. I really hope to hear from ya soon, would love to catch up!!
Post a Comment