Monday, September 29, 2008

Campbell Soup and the PTA

So at the beginning of the school year I was asked to sell popcorn at the schools annual "skate night". I said sure, how hard can it be to sell popcorn. That night I was asked to help count Campbell Soup Labels for the school fundraiser, I was told that it only takes an hour every couple of months and if there were a couple of moms helping it would take even less time. So again I said that I would be happy to help, and the nice PTA lady said that she would get back to me on a time to meet and show me how to count and enter the info into the computer. A few weeks have gone by since then and I was just thinking to myself one night that they must not have needed my help after all.
So this morning while getting Riley ready for school, the nice PTA lady called and asked if we could meet this afternoon if I was still interested. I told her that I was still happy to help and said I would be there. So I get to the school and walk into the teacher lounge where she asked me to meet her and I see her and the PTA Pres. and the Principal and 2 other ladies I don't know sitting around a table getting ready to start their big important PTA meeting. They had there palm pilots, agendas and Diet Coke out and ready for and afternoon of serious PTA planning for this school year. I felt way out of my comfort zone (our elementary boundaries cover the wealthiest and poorest communities of our town, and as you can imagine the PTA board comes from the money side of the line. I however don't, our first time home buyer fixer upper is in the poor side of the school boundaries, so I felt way under "blinged") and sat through the whole meeting wondering if they gave me an agenda just to be nice or should I be taking mad notes like the rest of them for a reason I didn't know about. At the end of the meeting I was introduced and asked for all my phone numbers, e-mail, etc. so they would all know how to get in touch with me. The meeting ended and I was handed a big fat 3 ring binder, taken on a tour of the PTA room and shown where they keep everything. Then the nice PTA lady looked at me and said WELCOME TO THE PTA BOARD!!! I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, then she turned and said that she better get back to the classroom she was helping in and walked away. PTA BOARD? Counting a few Campbell Soup labels welcomes you to the PTA BOARD? I now have meetings to attend, activities to plan and not to mention, Campbell soup labels to count!

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

You'll do great! Looking forward to the next Sarah Palin :) I'm sure you will be a great asset and will end up doing much more than Campbell Soup Labels! Good Luck!

MEvans said...

Way to get sucked in Jen! Just kidding. Well atleast now you have something to do..... cause you weren't busy enough-huh? You'll be a great PTA president next year!

Danielle said...

ha ha Jen Thats a funny story! I saw Katie today at work. :)

Christina said...

So that is how they get people to join the PTA . . . tricky! You will do awesome! Thankfully I have a few years before I have to worry about anything like that!

Mel said...

That was quite the initiation! I bet if you had a blackberry, they would have texted you and you would have known all about it way in advance. I don't have a blackberry either and I don't hear the whole story on a lot of stuff until I am in the middle of it. Makes it harder to say know when you are already in the middle of it. Besides, they need someone normal like you in the PTA.

By the way, I don't get out too often so I don't think it's too busy here.

Marty and Kim Bergsjo said...

Congrats. If you ever need a friends from the poor side of town I'm all yours!!!